Thursday, September 27, 2012

Belladonna

I got a trial version of Marvelous Designer and I've been trying to teach myself how to use it. It's pretty magical. I really like that it employs actual pattern drafting, and the cloth simulation, while a bit buggy sometimes, is really nice. It is also great that you can export whatever you make into an obj file to edit in your 3D program of choice.

I made a few practice dresses. This one is based on Elizabeth's dress from Persona 3. Another good thing about MD is that you can change the properties of the cloth to be whatever you want, like wool or satin. Getting the collar to stand up like that took a bit of tweaking. I tried adding in the textural details but that isn't the easiest thing to do in this program, If I were going to use this on a game model I'd rather wait until I have UV's to work with.


 This one is just a quick little peplum dress because that's in style right now and I've always liked it.



 I spent the most time on this one, and I'm going to use it in a personal project I'm starting. This dress is loosely based on the one Belladonna wears in the velvet room in Persona 1 and 2. I know a pattern has been emerging in my inspiration lately...but I like what I like. I've always wanted to learn how to make puff sleeves, too. It's nice to be able to experiment with patterns without wasting fabric.

Imported into maya


Some reference for Belladonna:

The next step is making my own 'avatar' model for the program and fitting my patterns onto that.

2 comments: